Finding mold in your home is never enjoyable, especially after realizing that it has been within your home for several days, weeks, or even months! What many people do not realize is that mold can live inside of your home for a period of time without you even noticing. It is important to know exactly what to look for when it comes to symptoms you may be feeling or any physical changes that you notice inside of your home. So, how exactly do you spot toxic mold? And, once you do, how do you get rid of it as quick as possible? Here are a few different signs that you may have mold within your home, and what you should do once you find it.

  • Skin rashes. If you have been noticing some random, out of the blue skin rashes that have been appearing on different areas of your skin, this could be a sign that mold is growing inside of your home. Especially if you have mold-prone allergies, this is a very common sign that people can deal with. It is common to experience swelling in your skin, irritation and even hives depending on how severe the mold is inside of your home.
  • Fatigue. Extreme fatigue and tiredness can also be a sign that there is mold surrounding you. You may notice that you feel very tired and weak until surrounding yourself in an air-conditioned room, which can provide some relief for the time being. After making sure that your fatigue is not caused by another health-related issue, you should begin checking for mold.
  • Coughing. An extreme amount of mold within your home can cause congestion in your sinuses, shortness of breath and even chronic coughs and fungal conditions. This can become more common and severe for people who have any form of lung disease, but ultimately may show through depending on how long you have mold in your home.
  • Smell, discoloration and/or stains. The actual mold in your house may begin to smell – you may notice a thick, musty aroma, which most likely means there is mold. And, the most obvious signs of all include any discolorations or stains that you notice on your ceilings or walls.

If you have any of these signs and think that your home may have toxic mold within it, you should immediately contact a testing company who will be able to determine if you have mold, how much it has spread, and what the best route is on how to remove it.